Thursday, January 19, 2012

I am most horribly afraid..

...that the excellent Ms Charlaine Harris has chosen to wind up her "Grave" series with the latest book (OK, latest to me; I use the library rather than the bookstore!) "Grave Secret". She hasn't said she is doing so; she ends the book with lines that make it clear the story goes on, but the book just has a winding-up feel to it, and it saddens me. Harper Connelly, heroine of the series, is one of the most appealing literary characters I've found; she's a fighter who has survived and continues to survive appalling circumstances and prejudice, and the whole story so far is a beautifully put-together jigsaw; and that's what bothers me about this last book; she dropped the last piece of the jigsaw into place.
And yet, and yet. There's Babylon 5. I loved this series; the storytelling was magnificent and it came to an end when the story ended, and nobody milked it, even though fans would have liked them to. Maybe that's the trick of a memorable story; and Ms Harris is a memorable storyteller.

Bother.I was right.

From her FB page :

"To clarify, there will be another Sookie after "Deadlocked," which comes out this May. It's nice to know that lots of readers will miss her, but it's not a good idea to extend a series beyond its natural life.
 I don't have plans to write any more books about Harper Connelly or Lily Bard."

I am disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment